When NIVEA re-launched its NIVEA FOR MEN range in 2008, it used a marketing plan to set out the marketing activities to be carried out in order to reach its aims and objectives. Marketing plans form part of organisations' overall business plans. They normally cover a period of one to five years and can include SWOT analysis, objectives, the marketing strategy, sales forecasts, budgets and criteria for evaluation of the outcomes. As part of the re-launch of NIVEA FOR MEN both above and below-the-line promotion was used to help meet the objectives of increasing its share of the existing market and to expand the market for men's skincare products.
Other marketing objectives, which could be set in a marketing plan, may be to increase sales and develop brand image. Perhaps these are the reasons why Fred Perry, the clothing company, has invited Amy Winehouse to design four new collections for it. The first of these, a 17 piece women's wear line, will be released this autumn. Winehouse is not the first musician to work with the fashion brand. Paul Weller and Damon Albarn have also designed for the company. It is hoped that Winehouse will bring her 'edgy' style to the brand whilst staying true to its heritage. Organisations have long used celebrity endorsement to promote their products. It is becoming more popular to actually involve these celebrities in the design stage of the products they are endorsing. Bringing Amy Winehouse on board may help Fred Perry meet a number of marketing objectives. Although associating the company with a personality like Winehouse might be considered to be a risk, it cannot be denied that she is high profile. As she is expected to release a new album this year her profile is likely to increase even further. (The Times 12th March 2010)
- Define above-the-line and below-the-line promotion.
- Using the NIVEA FOR MEN case study, show how the marketing plan fits with the overall business plan.
- Analyse how an effective business plan can contribute to the success of a fashion label like Fred Perry.
Answers to questions
- Define above-the-line and below-the-line promotion – Above-the-line promotion involves direct expenditure on advertising through consumer media such as TV, radio and newspapers, Below-the-line promotion involves indirect expenditure on promotion such as free gifts, point-of-sale displays, public relations
- Using the NIVEA FOR MEN case study, show how the marketing plan fits with the overall business plan a. Business aims and objectives are written b. Overall business plan drawn up c. Data is gathered d. Marketing plans are drawn up, along with operations and financial plans
- Analyse how an effective marketing plan can contribute to the success of a fashion label like Fred Perry On one hand: Marketing plans encourage the use of forward thinking by managers, Marketing plans should provide direction and ensure the organisation is working towards achieving its aims and objectives, Market research will be carried out in order to develop the marketing plan. However: Fashion changes rapidly, so marketing plans may become redundant quickly, Sticking rigidly to a plan may stifle creativity It depends on: How flexible the plans are, How accurately the research is that the plans are based on, How realistic the plans are